Monday, October 18, 2010

The Simplest Things Can be the Most Powerful

It's Sunday, the day to go to church, do the grocery shopping at Jimbo and /or Von's on the way back home, eat some leftover and have aftenoon nap, cook supper, go to beach or walk if weather coorperates, watch recorded session of Hour of Power and go to bed after supper and light reading. That's what my Sunday usually looks like. 

 When I woke up this morning, the ashen sky of San Diego had already smothered the surrounding  area with a mantle of sombre greyness. Going to the beach this evening seemed out of question unless the sun decided to break through the greyness and brightened  the world for those desperately waiting for a dip in the sea or a ride on a rolling wave (surfing) In my case, it would be just a stroll on the beach, barefooted.

It was dristling when we got into the car to drive to church and by the time we arrived there, thin sheets of rain had washed the parking lot clean. Walking in the rain is something I enjoyed as a child and still the child in me took a delight while I walked up to the church door, bothering not to cover my head with my handbag.  By the time we arrived, the worship leader was leading the last song,and soon it was time for pastor Bob to give the announcement and start his sermon.

The title of today's message was Insights into Renewal.... and pastor Bob  was still continuing on Peter's journey to Maturity. The Bible reading for today was focused on John 21, where Jesus meets Peter for the third time after His resurrection. This time few of His other disciples John, James, Thomas and Natanael too were there and they were at the beach after a long fishing night with no catch. Early that morning Jesus shows up and asked them if they've got any fish. No one recognized Him to be Jesus. Only when they threw the net as Jesus instructed and caught multitude of fish in the net, their eyes were opened to see Jesus.

Yes, sometimes Jesus is not so visible to our sight. We expect Him to show up in a dramatic and miraculous manner. Such expectation make us to miss seeing the Lord in simple things in day to day life- In the beauty of sunflower, in the song of a humming bird, the loving touch of a caring friend, the smile of a jogger passing by, the laughter of children, the advise of an elderly person. If we are humble enough to seek and look, His fingerprints are everywhere to be seen. His message is written across the paddy field to pansies dancing wilderness. We don't need to have mountain top experience to see the hand of God.

Some of us recognize the presence of the Lord only when our nets are full like the disciples. Only when something happen miraculously then we recognize God. Others seek and see God only when their nets are empty. They feel God's closeness only when they're in need, in trouble or in danger. When they need is fulfilled and everything is taken care of, they seem to get caught up with life until the next bout of trouble knock at the door.

What would be my honest answer be, if asked when do I make time for God -when the nets are full or empty? I think, I feel more close to God when my nets are full than when they're empty. However, I need to confess that sometimes I get dragged into get busy to get more fish into the net.  I can become aloof even if I don't get busy too. Being full and satisfied may at times rob the hunger for the Lord. Whether my nets are full or empty doesn't need to come to play a part in our relationship and closeness to the Lord. The time with Him is holy and precious and as long as I remember this unshakable fact, I'm standing firm the solid ground.
"as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things." 2 Corinthians 6:10b.
Yes, it doesn't matter whether we are empty handed or mighty in posession; having Him in our day to day lives is that what matters, and that's what counts a lot in heaven's economy.

No comments:

Post a Comment