Sunday, October 17, 2010

Counting the precious moments

If I have eyes to see, ears to hear and some quiet time to think, I'm sure to view many of the moments in my life as precious. If we are waiting to see anything special and dramatic to happen to count them as precious, then mostly we'll end up frustrated. But if we take a close look at those happening around us, the day to day, simple ordinary things with a thankful heart and positive attitude, you'll have enough in your basket to consider as precious moments.

Yesterday, surely brought many moments for me to cherish. In the morning, I decided to go for a walk. I could have stayed indoors, done some cleaning, played scrabble on the computer or watched a comedy on tv to doodle my hours after all it looked  a dull and gloomy sky outside, not a favorable morning to go for a walk. Yet, I chose to go and I'm glad that I did.

A bottle of water in my hand and the bunch of keys in the other, I walked out our complex and down the hilll in my grey outfit to suit the weather. Instead of walking all the way down to the stop sign and turn around which I usually do, I decided to cross the street and walk along the cemented bridge leading towards the soccer field. Remembering the assignment I gave my gals in the writers group-to intensify the skill of observation, starting with sense of sight for the first day, I decided to sharpen my sight for the day , at least during this morning walk. And what did I see? Oh loveliness all around me in beautiful colors. Normally I wouldn't have had eyes to see them. But yesterday, I was determined to look at least for the assignment sake. After all I'm the instructor and if I don't do my homework, how do I expect my students to do theirs.

At the foot of the hill leading to our apartment I saw bright white star-shaped flowers on waxy leaved plants spreaded on the ground. Being not a gardener nor having a green thumb, I didn't expect to know the name of the flower. But they looked so lovely and pure close to the earth smiling brightly at the passersby. Wonder how many have noticed them to return a smile or appreciation. But I did and I count that as my precious moment.

Few feet ahead stood a well pruned hedge along the sidewalk with clusters of violet flowers waving in the soft wind. Onto my left along the parapeet wall lining the houses spreaded out a carpet of lily of the valley in glorious bloom. Then, when I crossed the street and walked along the bridge, I had a grand view of well manucured lawn with a million dollar worth houses arrayed side by side far below and across the field. On the other side stood gigantic trees and short bushes flashing with bunches of flowers of various sizes and colors. I could even smell fragrance of jasmine in the air, but wasn't able to locate that familiar plant or flowers anywhere. Bright orange tubular flowers beating the sharpness of Fanta drink in color stood high up and waved softly at me, beside the tree hanging with tiny green coriander seed like fruits. I wished I had some hint of horticulture in my vein to identify these plants to enjoy the existence more. Yes, walking through such loveliness, I count as precious moments for the day for me.


                               

2 comments:

  1. sharp observations, that movie sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely to see your blog and first posting up!

    You've shared some great insights and observations. I had a chuckle moment when you mused about the teacher needing to do the homework too.

    ReplyDelete