Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Psalm 91-Blessed Assurance

 I remember of singing the Psalm 91 in my native tongue in my small country church choir as a teenage girl. I can't boast of having a voice that's fit to sing a solo, yet, amidst the beautiful voices in the choir and with the accompaniment of  tambourines and violin, it somewhat sounded angelic in my ears.

Never would I've imagined that in many years later,  the very roof under which I stood and sang the psalm could come under attack of criss-cross firing of ethnic war.  Many of us had to flee from our homeland, but  God's protection has continued and thus become more meaningful and assuring than ever before.

Today, as I watch the news on television: the change of regime in Egypt, the protest and fight in Libya, the earth earthquake in New Zealand, the massive floods in Australia, the ravaging AIDs in Africa, the spewing volcano in Hawai and the hurricanes and tornados in the nearing cities, it's natural to become concerned and worried. But where can we flee or which place or country can we choose as a safe and peaceful place to dwell in these days?

 Even the sunny California where I live for the last four years has it's own rips and flaws. Three times last year, the building we live were shaken by earthquakes, and two years before we had to be evacuated because of approaching forest fire.

Experiece has taught me that I cannot flee from trouble to find a safe haven. There's no place on earth is going to give me that. As long as I dwell on this planet, I'll face problems, natural disasters, disease and wars. Peace, instead of panic is God's given gift for all those who put their trust in Him.

I'm glad that I've lived through times of turmoil and unrest to experience Christ's peace and strength .  That's why, even if my voice is not fit to sing a solo, I will boldly sing psalm 91 to my heart content and proclaim like the psalmist-" He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust." Psalm 91:2

No comments:

Post a Comment