Thursday, February 14, 2013

The Greatest Valentine Day Gift

One fine Valentine morning, many years ago, as I was about to walk out our front door to go to the store to buy the ingredients to make the Valentine cake for my husband,  On my way out, I remembered that I hadn't read my Bible that day. Guilt stricken, I slipped out of my winter boots and put my jacket back in the closet and walked back to my room.

 As I sat on my bed and flipped open my Bible, the familiar verse, John 3:16, well underlined in red ink hit my eyes in a very special way. Countless times I would have read that passage before, but on that Valentine day, it spoke to me with a special effect to give me a deeper understanding of true love.

"For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16

No human being could outgive God in love or in gift giving. Dozens of red roses tied up in beautiful ribbons and boxes of chocolates given out in romantic love do not have a chance to compete with God's agape love and His precious gift of His Son. Even though we are unworthy to receive such a valuable unwrapped gift of love, God in His grace had chosen to love us so much that He opted to send His beloved Son to go to the cross so that we could have eternal life. Isn't that amazing or what?

In return, what could I offer Him? Knowing that He wouldn't be much interested in any card I write or the flowers I send, the candle I light or the beautiful cake I make, I decided to offer Him what He loves to get from me.

 Slowly in reverence, I got down on my knees and with closed my eyes, I pledged that I would love my God with all my heart, with all my soul, with all my strength and with all my mind. Because I uttered those words in heartfelt sincerity, it would have sounded so beautiful in God's ears. It was the best gift I could offer in return for His amazing love on that Valentine Morning.



No comments:

Post a Comment