Sunday, September 30, 2012

The Book of Revelation- Session Two (Rev 1:9-20)

Last week, in the study of Revelation, I wrote about what I learned in  Revelation 1;1-8 and in the first video session of Beth Moore's teaching on this book. This time, those of us who are doing the Bible study are instructed to learn in the SOS step manner in  order to learn deeper and apply meaningfully in our personal life.
S ---What does the scripture say?
O--- Is there anything the scripture requires for me to obey ?
S----How can I share this truth with others?

Reading: Revelation 1: 9-20
What does the scripture say?
 Apostle John who writes this book is in the island of Patmos as an exile for preaching the Good News of Jesus Christ to the people. On the Lord's Day ( probably a Sunday or a Sabbath Day)  while he was worshipping God in prayer and praises, he heard a voice sounding like a trumpet behind him and telling him to write on a scroll whatever he sees and send it to the seven churches in Turkey at that time. The voice named the churches clearly as Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia, and Laodicea.
John turns around to see who was speaking to him.

What did he see?
He saw seven golden lampstands, and among the lampstands, was someone like the Son of Man( Jesus) standing among them, dressed in a robe flowing down to His feet and with a golden band around His chest (in a priestly attire).His hair white as wool and snow( symbolizing wisdom) and His eyes blazing like fire (symbolizing His judgement of all evil.)  His feet shone like glowing bronze and His voice sounded like rushing waters. In His hand, He held seven stars and in His mouth , He had a sharp double edged sword (representing the power of His words.)  His face shone like a brightly shining sun.

John fell like a dead man at the Lord's feet. But the Lord gently tapped him with His right hand and said, " Don't be afraid. I am the First and the Last. I am the Living One. I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And  I hold the keys of death and Hades.

The Lord asked John to write what he has seen then and what will take place later. He explained to John that the seven golden stars that He held in His right hand represented seven angels (or leaders) of the seven churches and the seven lampstands represents the seven churches to whom John was asked to send what he wrote.

Is there anything in these scriptures, I'm required to obey?

We find John worshipping God in spirit when he heard the trumpet like voice behind him. It wasn't a cooperate worship. John was alone worshipping God in private. Worshipping God with fellow believers is good and essential. But worshipping God in private, when no one is around and looking is vital. It is the key to a strong faith walk. Do I commit myself to have the private audience with God daily? If not, I need to set aside unneccessary schedules and commitments and have daily time with God for prayer and worship.

When I do, I'll be able to hear the Lord's small voice telling me what to do or not to do. Rarely would I hear an audible voice or see a vision like John. But I could hear the Lord speaking to me through His Word (the Bible.)
The number seven (7) represents complete and perfection.
We read that the Son of Man ( Jesus) standing among  seven golden lampstands and holding seven stars in His right hand. The lampstands represents churches and stars represents the angels of the churches.

What do I learn here?

I learn that Christ loves each of these churches and cares enough to make John to write and send His message to them. He wants the churches to be complete in perfection. He holds the angels/leaders of the churches accountable for that.
How do I obey? Because the churches are close to God's heart, I've to work for the betterment of them by praying for them, loving the fellow believers Christlike and serving wherever and whenever my help is needed. Like these churches mentioned in Revelation, no church is perfect. Instead of giving into badmouthing, judging and making division in the church, I need to leave the judgement part to the Lord.

What would I share?

I'd share the importance of  praise and worship in our  time with the Lord.
I'd share that John couldn't behold the glorous face of Christ  when he turned around to see. It wasn't the face of Jesus of Nazereth, his Master with whom he walked, talked and ate for three years in Galilee. His voice didn't sound the same as before. Unworthy to stand before the glorious risen Christ, the Alpha and Omega, John fell like a dead man at His feet.

Likewise, we too might have a different view of Christ in our mental picture. For some of us, He's more of a friend in need, a deliveror from trouble, a guide for heaven and comfort. Most of us picture Him with a smiling face, dressed in a white robe and having  blond hair and blue eyes. No one could blame us for that's the image of Jesus we've seen  on pictures hanging on the walls, on Sunday school take aways, church buildings, books and movies ever since our childhood.

And, now in this chapter, we come to view another picture of Him. Here, instead of seeing Him as Jesus-the Son of Man, we come to see Him as Christ-the Son of God in His glory. Dressed in a robe  with a golden band across His chest representing a High Priest, having the hair white like wool and snow displaying His wisdom, and His fire like blazing eyes symbolizing judgement of all evil and the sharp double edged sword in His mouth symbolizing the power and authority of His words.

Could you and I ever stand erect and behold such a majestic vision of Christ? For sure I cannot. In my unworthiness to stand before Him, I too will fall flat on my tears bathed face and lay dead like John, if not for the grace and gentle whisper of His loving voice. How often we tend to forget who truly Christ is-the Lord of lords and King of kings, and see Him only as the world around us potray Him. But when we seek Him with our whole heart and abide in Him according to His words, He is going to reveal more and more of Himself to us. It may not be through a vision as in the case of John, but in some other ways He sees best to reveal in  a personal way. During such revelation, we may hear the nudge of the Holy Spirit directing us what to do.
Let us too behold the Lord in reverence and obey Him as John did two thousand years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment