Friday, September 23, 2011

Max Lucado and I

                               A strange title it may sound, for I don’t have any personal connection or contact with Max Lucado to give such a title. He’s a famous author, well known globally for his books and preaching ,and, I'm someone who loves to call myself a writer, but haven’t written a single book to this date, nor have published that many articles with my by-line to put my name beside him  So, what’s the reason I’ve given this  blog such a title. Maybe for the reason, that I've got hooked onto the author's style of writing that I can't contain myself without sharing it.

I've heard of others loving the author's books, but I'd never picked up any of his books to read until a month ago. In fact, I'd bought three of his books at our library sale for few dollars and they had been standing prim and poised on my bookshelf untouched very lately. Only yesterday, Linda from our Bible study returned two books I've loaned her a few months back. To my surprise, one of them is  Max Lucado's When Christ Comes. I remember of giving her the book, when she inquired about Second coming. The fact that her mom got bought into the imminent Dooms Day preaching of some  television evangelist worried her. I pointed few chapters in the Bible talking about it and gave Lucado's book thinking it might have some reliable facts there to help her. Even though I hadn't read the book, the title of the book and the credibility of the author made me believe it would have something she was looking for. But somehow I've completely forgotten about it until she returned it last evening along with Philip Yancey's Why Pray?

 Our Women's Ministry has chosen Lucado's book Fearless for our Bible study this Fall and that's how I came to read the author's book for the very first time.Once I did, I was hooked at once. His conversational writing style, sprinkles of humor dotting the pages, his heart for God and people all bound together captured me to list him to be my favorite author next to Phil Yancey. Now that I'm caught up in the bug of his beautiful writing, I cannot resist from getting more and more of his books to read. I love his conversational style of writing with sprinkles of humor dotting the pages. If I ever write a book, I would like to adapt his style of writing and  the kind message he tries to convey to his readers. His words reflect his faith, love for God and people and perspectives. 

This morning, I started to read his book, Just Like Jesus. He starts the first chapter asking, " What if , for one day, Jesus were to become you? What if for twenty you allow him to be you, waking up from your bed, eating breakfast at your table, commuting to work, interacting with your coworkers, doing grocery, answering phone , watching television, reading etc. Your circumstance remains the same, your health problem, financial situation remain unchanged. Your schedules isn't altered. Your problems aren't solved. The only change that happens is that your heart gets the day off and you're allowed to function under the direction of Christ's heart. Him alone for one day. What would that day be like? That was the challenge he put out there.

No doubt, I've heard of similar ones asking what will you do if Jesus comes to your house one day? Would you hide the things you read, speak differently, act kindlier and gentler? Would you dust off the Bible and put it on a prominent place for Him to notice. Instead of spurting out swears and slangs, would you talk politely, if possible quoting scripture or two in the middle to gain some browny points? Would your house look, sound and function very differently for anyone to notice

A few years back, a trend or fad came mostly among youngsters wearing a wristband saying WWJD or something like that to the effect what would Jesus Do in such a situation? A good idea and a great thought to keep the kids and teenagers from doing things the'd regret later. But like any other fad, it too had a short term duration, I presume for I don't see anyone wearing those bands around their wrists anymore.

But coming to Max Lucado and his challenge, I agree that it would give us a true view of ourselves and the shortcomings we have to achieve God's ultimate goal for us-be like Christ. I know I'm not there and I'm work in progress. How can we be like Jesus, love, pray, empathize, walk and talk like Him is what Lucado is trying to tell us in the way he knows and understood in this book. I can't wait to read and write about it on another day with another title for sure. The book looks like an easy read with short twelve chapters within 170 pages. So, let me come back again to write about what I've read and what I've learned to be like Jesus-the ultimate goal of every Christian.

No comments:

Post a Comment